1. What is steel fiber?
Steel fiber is a modified cold-drawn steel wire fiber designed for concrete.
2. what are steel fiber used for?
Steel fiber is used for concrete and the products to control the cracks on the surface, and increase the toughness of them. Different from pp fiber or pva fiber made from polypropylene, steel fiber reinforced concrete has longer service life, helps to reduce engineering maintenance costs.
3. What is the benefits of steel fiber?
The main role of steel fiber in concrete is to limit the expansion of cracks in the cement matrix under the action of external force.
①Significantly improve the toughness or energy absorption capacity of concrete.
②Improve the ultimate tensile strength or strain of concrete.
③Improve the ability of concrete to control the crack width.
4. Why should I use steel fiber?
Steel fiber reduces cracks on the concrete surface, makes the concrete can still bear weight after cracking. It improves the impact resistance, flexural strength, and bearing capacity. Steel fiber reinforced concrete (SFRC) has longer life, and you will get benefits.
5. What are the differences between steel fiber and macro fiber?
The tensile Strength of Steel fibers is 1100 mpa, higher than the macro fiber’s (750 mpa). Steel fibers are suitable for projects with high requirements for bearing capacity. Macro Synthetic Fiber can resistant to acid and alkali corrosion, especially suitable for water conservancy and ocean engineering. For long-term durability, macro fibers are a better choice. Also, the weight of steel fiber is 8 times than that of imitation steel in the same volume, the cost is higher.
6. How to mix steel fiber in to the concrete?
● Put in the aggregate first, and put the steel fiber into the dry mix for 30-60s.
● Put sand and cement into dry mixing for 30-60 seconds.
● Add water and mix for about 3 minutes.
7. How to avoid fiber balling?
● Uneven mixing or wrong mixing method will cause fibers sticking into a bunch, it is called fiber ball.
● You please use a rolling mixer, and the mixing volume should be no more than 80% of the rated mixing volume of the mixer.
● The feeding sequence and mixing time are: coarse aggregate → steel fibers (mix for 1 minute) → fine aggregate → cement (mix for 1 minute). Adding steel fiber into the mixer while mixing. Pouring in sand and cement, remixing for 2～3 minutes after all the materials are put in, adding enough water and mixing for 1 minute. The total stirring time is not more than 6 minute, since super-stirring will cause the wet fiber to agglomerate.
8. Will steel fibers rust?
Yes, please store it with original packaging in a cool and dry place, and use within the shelf life.
9. How does steel fiber work?
● Steel fibers are randomly distributed in the concrete matrix, when stressed, the steel fibers act as a connection to transfer the load to the upper and lower or left and right surfaces of the crack, so that the crack area can still continue to bear the load.
● The bonding effect of steel fiber on cracks suppresses the further propagation of cracks.
● Therefore, steel fiber makes the brittle concrete into a large extent exhibit plastic characteristics. This characteristic becomes more obvious with the increase steel fiber.
10. Does adding steel fiber affect the amount of other materials?
For every 0.5% (volume ratio) steel fiber added, please increase 6kg/m³ of water, and sand rate by 2%.
11. Steel fiber is already used in concrete, is rebar still needed?
Yes, rebar is still need. Since steel fibers just control non-structural cracks, rebar is indispensable to reduce the cracks inside of concrete. (Get more information about comparision rebar and steel fiber)
12. Do you have certifications?
We do not have certifications, but our fibers can pass the American ASTM, CABO, ICBO, UL and other relevant tests. We are willing to provide you free sample for testing.
13. Are your products made of stainless steel?
Fiberego STF1100 is plain carbon steel fiber.
14. Can I get free sample?
Yes, we are willing to provide free sample for you, please contact us.
15. Ways of payment
We accept 30% deposit plus 70% L/C at sight. We also accept T/T with 30% deposit.